What messages are our corridors giving to our students

It’s always a great feeling when you are sitting at a conference and a speaker really makes you stop and go “why haven’t I thought of that before?” This happened to me recently at the 2 day IQPC 2015 Learning Space Summit in Sydney when Stefan Popenici (Melbourne Graduate School of Education) challenged us with a series of images taken in corridors and other common student circulation areas of Universities.

No food or drink allowed

We’ve all seen signs similar to this on classroom doors: no-food-or-drink but what message does that send to our students? That we don’t trust them? That we think they are children? Even though we expect them to be adults in so many other ways. And just how many of these types of these “NO” signs do they see each day on Campus? It’s very interesting food for thought and I’m no very keen to walk our campuses and photograph every instance I can find to see how prevalent it is.

For more details, Stefan has one paper published on this topic: “Reading Walls on University Corridors: Transitional Learning Spaces in Campus

lisagermany

One Comment